Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Revolutionary Veterans

The end of June saw me sworn in as a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.  This group is similar to, but not associated with,  the DAR but for men.   Hopefully, in the future we will be able to raise awareness of the Revolutionary heritage in the 1000 Island region.  Around 300 veterans of that war are buried in Jefferson county.  These men fought for MA, CT, RI, VT and a few for NY.  They came here to settle on bounty lands they were given for their service.  I've created a virtual cemetery with links to memorials for each veteran.

I have also created a virtual cemetery for 1812 veterans buried in Jefferson county.  Originally created from graves with 1812 markers that I happened to find, it now includes names from the 1812 list posted by Norther New York Genealogies.

A hot dry summer  and my lawn starting to get crunchy.  The river is swarming with people for the 4th week.  Looks like we will get some good weather.